On a cold winter afternoon, the southbound Williams Flyer led by Grand Canyon Railway steam locomotive No. 29 and a FPA-4 diesel helper speeds through the Espee Rd. crossing at Red Lake, Arizona on her way back to the station at Williams. No. 29 is a 2-8-0 Consolidation built by the American Locomotive Works in 1906, who worked on the Lake Superior & Ishpeming Railroad in Michigan prior to entering service on the Grand Canyon Railway in 1990. She remained in active service until 2008 when the railway’s famed steam program was cut. However, after being converted to burn Waste Vegetable Oil, she returned to the rails in August of 2016 to celebrate the National Parks Service’s centennial.
Ken Muramoto ©. Watercolor. 10 1/4″ x 14″. September, 2016.